Android M was recently announced at Google I/O event and the developer previews were also released for nexus devices. The nexus devices which got this M preview are nexus 6, 5 and 9. One of our friend have nexus 5 running on M developer preview so we started play around and searching the root methods. There were methods available for rooting M developer preview but we was searching for a little bit easier one so we can share that here for others and we got a simple workaround for rooting nexus 5 running M developer preview. So here’s a little bit easier guide to Root And Install Twrp Recovery On Nexus 5 Running Android M Developer Preview.
Warning : Although this guide is pretty simple and there’s no risk but still things can go wrong, so just follow the below guide on your own risk.
Special thanks to Xda’s recognized developer/contributor DespairFactor for creating despair kernels that makes the root possible on m preview.
Things You Need
Root And Install Twrp Recovery On Nexus 5 Running Android M Developer Preview
- Download all the three files on your pc and connect your phone to pc with usb debugging enabled on that. Now transfer SuperSu and Despair kernel to your phone.
- Now navigate to the folder where you have twrp recovery on your pc and open the command prompt there by pressing shift key with right click.
- Now in the command prompt, type fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img (or whatever exact name you have of Twrp) and then hit enter key.
- Once it get finished, you can disconnect your phone from pc. (Not recommended)
- Now turn off your phone and boot it into recovery mode by holding volume up, down, and power buttons together for some seconds then press volume down twice and now just press power button.
- Now before proceeding to next steps, just make sure you have backup of current rom. If not, then just make a one by heading towards Backup option in twrp recovery and then swipe to backup.
- After making backup, select “Install” option on main window and then navigate to the place/folder you placed Despair kernel. Select it and then “swipe to confirm flash”.
- Once it finishes installation, hit the “Install” option again and then navigate to the place you putted SuperSu Beta 2.49 file. Now select it and then “swipe to confirm flash”.
- Once it get finished, tap on “Reboot” option to reboot the phone.
Congrats you have now successfully flashed twrp recovery and rooted nexus 5 on android M developer preview. Now you can play around the things and can enjoy all the apps which required root permissions. If this guide helped you by any means and you find it worthy, make sure you share it with others. Feedback and queries are always welcomed, we will try our very best to answer and solve them.